At Breamore CE Primary we recognise the importance of good attendance in school and how it can impact on a child's performance overall.
Why Attending School Matters
Missing school really does make a difference to your child’s future. Research shows that children who miss school regularly can fall behind with their work and do less well in tests. Aim for 100% school attendance as this may help improve your child’s chances of getting a better job or career in the future.
Appointments During School Hours
We ask that all appointments such as medical etc are made out of school hours. However if your child has an appointment they cannot miss or rearrange, evidence of this appointment will need to be seen by the school office. This could be an appointment card or text message.
Holiday's During Term Time
The DfE guidelines makes it very clear that Headteachers cannot authorise any leave of absence, including term time holidays, unless there are exceptional circumstances. Any absence without this agreement will be classed as unauthorised.
Exceptional circumstances are described as unique or one off events. They might include family emergencies, a sudden change in circumstances or a once in a lifetime opportunity. Visits from family members or opportunities for discounted holidays will not constitute as exceptional circumstances. Also, in taking any decision to authorise absence the headteacher will also take other factors into account such as a child's current attendance level.
If your child is absent you must:
• Contact us as soon as possible on the first day of absence; preferably before 9am. This can either be via a telephone call, sending us an email or reporting to the school office.
If your child is absent we will:
• Telephone you on the first day of absence if we have not heard from you;
• Record and monitor any absence.
• Invite you in to discuss the situation with us if the absence is below 90%.
• Refer the matter to the local authority if attendance consistently moves near to 85%.
Teachers talk to the children about good attendance and how important it is in making sure children make good progress.